Image Map

Monday, January 12, 2015

A Snowmobile Ride Under the Stars

Dinner time at the chalet in France was always an event. Each night a different family took turns making dinner for the entire household, and it was often a day long affair. Everyone was looking forward to a dinner out the Tuesday evening before Christmas. 

This dinner was set to be a spectacular one. All twenty one of us piled into vans and drove to a very remote location in the mountains. Living in Chicago for three years and spending the last few months in large cities, I believe I forgot how dark true wilderness can be. The vehicles were parked and we began walking up an isolated road. I didn't quite know what was going on, but followed as best I could, iPhone flashlight in hand. After a few minutes of uphill hike, a truck came speeding by us, did a U-Turn and stopped just ahead of the group. Unsure of who this person was, I'm thinking: Lovely. We are all about to be murdered and disposed of in the woods.

Fortunately, the driver was a man from the restaurant where we would soon be dining. He heard the roads were icy and came to pick us up. This way, we didn't have to walk the entire way to the snowmobiles. Oh yes. We all squished into this pick up truck, shoved creatively on top of one another, and took off for our next mode of transportation. 

While the night was cold and I was jostling around over the wheel in the back, I looked up at the night sky and decided it was all completely worthwhile. Between the darkness and the altitude, I have never before seen so many start just scattered up above.

We arrived at the snowmobile, it had a six seater carriage fastened to the back and we were about to go speeding around narrow trails in the pitch black. Good thing I got a look at the sky when I did, because I spent that snowmobile ride convinced I was going to be the one person jettisoned from my seat and into the abyss. I survived, and I must say, it was exhilarating. 

The snowmobile slowed in front of what literally appeared to be an abandoned cabin in the woods, surrounded by only snow and hills. Shuffling into the lobby, we all began to take off our layers and put on, get this, Crocs. I did manage to do a little digging and find some with flowers on them. Understandably, they didn't want dozens of people dragging snow and ice all over their floors. We all had to come up in waves, and I settled in with a beer and my Crocs, waiting for the others to arrive.


The ambiance was that of a cozy cabin with ample wooden decor and cozy curtains. My favorite part of this cabin? The dessert display was set up smack in the middle and I could keep my eye on it at all times. The fantastic amounts of cheese I got to ingest also made for a pleasant evening.


We ordered our entrees ahead of time. I was planning on playing it safe with a meat dish, but decided on the stinky cheese fondue, or more eloquently referred to as Mont D'or. I was shocked when they brought each person their own container of melted cheese. Thankfully, I got some help in finishing mine. I had a meat platter, olives, and some vegetables for dipping, smothering, in the Mont D'or. 


Post dinner and dessert (I had a fruit crumble), we naturally finished with a drink. Well, everyone else did. I passed as I wanted to have my wits about me on the return snowmobile ride. The drink display was adorable and perfectly rustic.


We had to leave in rounds as well.This was the hardest part to survive. With that much meat, cheese, and delicious food in your belly, all you desire is a deep, hibernation grade sleep. The restaurant owners had an adorable cow dog there to keep us company though. Playing with the dog made for a good use of my extra time.

The snowmobile and pick up truck ride was more pleasant on the way back. I knew what I was getting myself into this time around and did some deep breathing! The entire night was unbelievable and I still can't fathom the beauty of the night high up in the Alps.

No comments:

Post a Comment