Image Map

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Brunch at Chipps

Back in Chicago, brunch is an Olympic sport. A sport I sorely miss and excelled at nearly every weekend. While Germany is overflowing with bakeries and grab and go breakfast sandwiches, this was not filling the pancake and bacon sized hole in my heart. Before leaving Berlin on Sunday morning, we found a brunch restaurant walking distance to our hotel.

Chipps is a well known, and well rated, restaurant not far from Museum Island. The inside space was small, and we were fortunate to get a table! You could easily watch your food being freshly made, a reassuring concept and entertaining to watch.


While I was tempted to order a latte, I decided to live dangerously and order a mint green tea. I was pleasantly surprised when a cup of piping hot green tea arrived stuffed to the brim with fresh mint leaves. I didn't use the honey they brought, but it made for an adorable display! It gave me the genius idea to add fresh mint leaves to my green tea to switch things up. How I failed to think of this myself, I don't know.


Our food was beyond my expectations. Tom ordered french toast and I chose the pancakes.  There is truly an art in cooking such basic dishes and having them turn out so brilliantly. My only complaint was they brought us appropriate, European portions of the amazing brunch options. I wish I had an American sized plate piled high with those pancakes, but it makes you appreciate it all the more! I'm not saying I would totally drive the six hours to Berlin just to brunch at Chipps, but the thought had crossed my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment