Image Map

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Weihnachtsmarkt Cuisine

I follow a very routine and healthy diet during the week and only splurge on dishes when we travel. Once the markets opened, however, all hope for maintaining that diet was lost. We live in the Swabian region of Germany. This means our primary local eats are sausages, beer, and wine, all of which are absolutely amazing. While the weather has currently taken a snowy turn, we were unbelievably fortunate to have pleasant weather to the point of being able to spend all day outdoors eating treats and never getting too cold. The glühwein may have had something to do with that as well...


Specialty nut and candy stands were everywhere. The primary German sweet offered were Lebkuchen cookies, or large gingerbread cookies often decorated and written on with icing. They're much like a giant gingerbread Valentine, as they say things like Ich liebe dich, I love you, and Frohe Weihnachten, Merry Christmas. I didn't make the cookie commitment, but I devoured my favorite cinnamon sugar almonds.


The wildcard mind blowing treat were the Wilde Kartoffeln, or wild potatoes. We got ours with a creamy garlic sauce.


My top picks in the tubed meat category were the chili paprika wurst (above) and the käse wurst (cheese sausage). They were served in their own baguettes, because regular buns are not hardcore enough. One thing I adore, and will miss terribly, is the quality of the food. Even the basics like sausage and wedge fries are so fresh and full of flavor. This ensures you leave full, but not full of guilt and fried food shame. The bread is made just hours before and is still warm inside. I never thought I would enjoy meat and carbs so incredibly much. I am mentally planning a return in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment