Image Map

Thursday, September 18, 2014

A Local Restaurant Find

Our first few days in Stuttgart were an adventure. We headed downtown first thing Friday morning to set up our bank account, attempt to resolve our phone issues (unsuccessfully), and take visa pictures. Who doesn't love having their picture taken while their recovering from a seven hour time difference?

As we didn't have any food in the apartment, we first went to a coffee shop in the city center to grab some breakfast. According to the locals, the end of August still falls within the vacation period of many Germans and there were significantly less people than usual. Either way, it made for an enjoyable, quiet breakfast of coffee and chocolate croissants at Cafe Chameleon.

Many people in Stuttgart speak at least some English, but the language differences do make ordering food complicated. I wanted a bottle of water but there was confusion over the variety (still, sparkling, medium). Same as ordering drinks and their sizes. Sizes are quite different as well. I ordered a large coffee (gross Kaffee) and what I got was not even a small coffee back home. While I have read the strength of the coffee here is much stronger and therefore served in smaller quantities, I was still expecting and desiring my large coffee. Sure, you can get a beer the size of your face, but the coffee is distributed in significantly smaller doses.

Before leaving Chicago, Tom had the forethought to get some Euro for each of us to bring along. I assumed this was only precautionary as we had an international credit card and we were going to be setting up a local bank account within the first days of arriving. After leaving the bank that Friday morning, I realized just how lucky we were to have that cash on us. We had to wait to get a PIN code in the mail along with our cards (5-7 days). After receiving the code, then money could be transferred from one account to another (2-3 days), add in mix ups and phone calls and we were on our final Euro coins by the time everything finally went through.

I was insistent we find a grocery store after leaving downtown that morning. After driving around for a while, we found a small store where we picked up water, basic food supplies, and body wash for me as I forgot to pack any... We arrived home midday and after unloading, went to sleep for a few hours. Neither of us had the energy or desire to explore too much that evening so I got on Google Maps and found a nearby restaurant. 

The area where we live is very pedestrian friendly. There is a path nearby for walking, running, or biking and you can take it anywhere from the epicenter to the outskirts of the city. I found a restaurant about ten minutes away with a somewhat familiar menu. There were more burgers than bratwurst and we needed a more American meal that evening, after taking a screen shot of the directions to 87 Restaurant Lounge, we walked over.



By the time we got ready and arrived, it was after eight and that early morning croissant was nearly twelve hours ago. We ordered beers and looked over the menu thoroughly, I was ravenous and was taking my meal selection very seriously. For an appetizer, we had a bread and dips platter. Tom's favorite was the feta cheese-chili spread, while I liked the olive oregano, though all three were delightful.




My body was desperately craving something healthy. I ordered the spinach salad and a sweet potato. The elderberry dressing seemed questionable at first, but it turned out to be really flavorful without being over powering.


Tom ordered a classic burger, no surprise there. He claims it was very good but I was never offered a bite, not that I offered him any of my salad either! I finished my meal with an espresso. I love how easy and encouraged it is to get an espresso at any point in time.


The restaurant decor was very industrial meets modern simplicity. This is someplace we plan to take friends and family when they come to visit; walkable, delicious, and relaxed. I am still feeling pretty proud of myself for my awesome dinner selection.

No comments:

Post a Comment