Image Map

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Movin' on up, and over, to Germany.

Throughout our engagement, we knew we would be temporarily relocating to Germany soon after the wedding. In fact, the timeline of the proposal and choosing of the wedding day was based around our tentative move date. I was able to take some additional time off before the wedding to coordinate the details.

The Tuesday before the wedding, a company was scheduled to pack and either ship or store our belongings based on our specifications. In the preceding days I did make a list of what went where and we filled out paperwork as necessary, but it never occurred to me I might need to separate my things out. I assumed movers would come, I would point out some things and, voila, done.

The evening before, Tom came home from work asking what I have divided and where. Well, much to my dismay we then spent the next six hours sorting through our belongings. Yes, my list of clothing was somewhat helpful. However, I forgot about our kitchen things, our holiday stuff in the basement, bikes, furniture, ect. Our apartment swiftly went from an orderly state, to catastrophic with piles of clothing and books in the living room. Meanwhile, the kitchen counters were covered in mugs, bowls, utensils, and my precious coffee and tea collection. Frozen pizza and The Expendables served as our fuel to keep on sorting until well after midnight.


My mountain of clothing, just some of the things I brought along.


We awoke exhausted and mentally drained early the next morning. Tom headed to work and the movers showed up an hour early, at seven am. Good thing our items were ready to go ahead of time. The initial phase was super awkward. I stood in whatever small vacant spot I could find while they packed boxes around me. Luckily, reinforcements showed up before too long, and they brought coffee. My MOH and mother in law came over to supervise and hang out with me on the kitchen floor. 


Boxed in. Literally.

The movers worked nonstop until 2 pm, and by then we were all exhausted. After the men packed everything and left, we went out for Noodles and Jeni's ice cream. The perfect reward for a job well done. 

Walking back into my vacant apartment was very surreal. I've lived in that apartment for three amazing years, and Tom has been there for six. It was home. The move signifies a new chapter and a whole world of opportunities, ones we look forward to taking advantage of together.

No comments:

Post a Comment