Image Map

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Dairy: A [Tragic] Love Story.



My favorite meal for as long as I can remember has consisted of a delicious, healthy salad and a bowl of ice cream. Now the ice cream has turned on me. So has yogurt. Lattes. And creamy soups. I seem to be entering a stage of my life where dairy may no longer be an option in my diet. I haven't been to a doctor or allergist to get tested for an intolerance or allergy but I do know my almost daily yogurt and some what regular latte has been causing my stomach to hurt. As I sit here, I am eating Greek yogurt and peanut butter as my temporary/final goodbye to milk products. 

I am more than willing to make a dietary change if it is right for my body. A little over a year ago, I followed a vegan diet for just over a month, but that was a bit too much for me at the time. I've cut out meat entirely a few times as well. Ultimately, I settled on eating reduced amounts of meat, processed foods, and sugar and it has been working. Until now.

The next week or two I am going to cut milk products out of my diet and see how I feel. I, as always, have plenty of almond milk on hand for my oatmeal and smoothies. I also picked up some coconut milk ice cream from Trader Joe's. Yum. On the down side, substitutes such as coconut or almond based options are two to three times more expensive than their dairy counterpart. That is definitely a bummer and not so great for my grocery budget. While I don't look forward to being overly cautious about my eating this time of year, it will be far better than the alternative of horrid stomach cramps and feeling grotesque...


For any dairy/lactose allergies out there, do you have any great tips or suggestions for snacks and treats? Do you notice a difference in how you look and feel?

No comments:

Post a Comment