Image Map

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Overcoming Holiday Weight Woes



Nothing is worse than having to calorie count at a party or turn down a lot of the delectable treats that come around this time of year. I have read on average we gain one to two pounds during this time of year. I could deal with one or two pounds, but I think in reality, how much we gain is much higher. This is the first Christmas in two years where I am feeling great about myself and my body. I gained 10+ pounds when I moved to Chicago two years ago, it took me longer than I would like to admit to lose the weight and I am looking to improve my fitness this holiday, not backpedal. However, I also don't want to choose between my health and a bowl of eggnog and dark chocolate ice cream. The ice cream would win. So how do you beat the gain and impulse eating? 

--You HAVE to prioritize. For me, I get more satisfaction from a homemade, low calorie treat than something more costly financially and nutritionally. I've been swapping out my somewhat regular gingerbread latte with a  skinny spicy hot cocoa when I'm at home, or a coffee or tea if I am at work. Some people prefer the full fat, real deal latte. That's fine, just keep track of how many you're drinking in a week, or day even! They do add up. Sometimes you need those cookies or french fries or a hamburger. Go for it, just enjoy your nosh and eat more produce your next meal.

--Also, portion control. With a huge wedding just under nine months away, watching how much I eat also saves me money. I have started menu planning everything. My breakfasts, snacks, lunches, dinners, and the lunches my fiance pack three times a week. I've been throwing away a lot food recently or eating my entire allotment of hummus, lunch meat, or pretzel thins by Wednesday. This makes for a very hungry end of the week.

--Keep it moving! I am very fortunate to have a job where I can be as active as I would like. My preschoolers love nothing more than an impromptu dance party when I need some mid morning cardio. If I have to park on the third or fourth floor of the parking garage at work, I take the stairs. I also aim to workout six times a week, I average five which is pretty good!

--Remember: working out will not keep you thin! This is a HUGE issue for me. Until recently, I thought I could work off those extra cookies with two a day workouts. False. I ended up exhausted, extra hungry, and I wasn't feeding my body with the right kind of nutrients.

--Distraction! If you're at a party, grab a plate of veggies, a glass of wine, and get lost in a great conversation.

--Eating out? If you know the restaurant before hand, you can run some of the dishes you are eyeing through an app like MyFitnessPal or research the calorie content online to see what info you can find. Often, the lighter sounding options, seafood, salad, wraps, are loaded with calories. This has saved me a few times!

--When in doubt, eat clean and listen to your body. I need a lot of food to keep me full most days. This means a lot of vegetables, yogurt, water, fruit, and lean protein. The less processed the better. However, my body is also sensitive to large amounts of dairy so I use almond milk when I can and keep on eye on how many lattes, yogurts, and ice cream scoops I am consuming.

The holidays are my favorite and my focus will be on spending time with family and friends, creating new memories. It is the most wonderful time of the year!



No comments:

Post a Comment