Image Map

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A (Fabulous) At Home Facial

Facials are one spa service I can absolutely justify splurging on every couple of months. They combine a mini massage of the hands, neck, and feet for relaxation while clearing the gunk out of your pores to keep you looking your oh so radiant best. Such services can vary from $50 to $100 in price depending on where you live, at those costs I can only go every eight plus weeks, and that's because I tell myself it is technically a "wedding expense". Regardless of your facial frequency, it's always good to do the occasional at home maintenance to keep things clear. Let us begin.


First, assemble the above materials. A face wash, gentle exfoliant, face mask for your skin type, toner, and moisturizer.
Face wash: I use Target's Up & Up brand acne wash. I get occasional acne, but more importantly it helps with my oily skin.
Exfoliant: When purchasing this it is crucial to get the proper kind. Most scrubs offered today do not have round beads but shard like abrasive objects. These will cause microscopic tears in your skin creating damage and the opportunity for infection. Scrub a break out too hard with those? Great job, now you've caused it to spread. Mine is from one of my Birchbox orders but Ulta, Beauty Brands, and other stores offer a higher quality you need.
Mask: Read through the description and ingredients, the above brand, Formula 10.0.6 received good reviews online and was a steal for around six dollars at Ulta. It is a mud mask which is ideal for my complextion.
Toner/liquid exfoliant: My Aveda botanical kinetics exfoliant may be the most I have ever spent on a single facial skin care product at around $26. Not super steep but considerable more than my four dollar face wash. Witch hazel provides the same cleansing effect but doesn't aid cell turn over like the Aveda product. I love it and it helps keep my post work out clogged pores at bay.
Moisturizer: After all of that cleaning, you'll need to put some good for your skin nutrients back in with a product suitable for your skin. Mine is the dual action moisturizer from Target, it replenishes while treating with mild acne treatment.

Next, get to work!
1. Wash your hands to remove all bacteria, remove eye make up, and if you wore a lot of powder/foundation, remove that as well. Work the face wash into your skin for about a minute, using warm water and rinse completely.
2. Exfoliate! The key to getting things really clean? Take your time. Small circular motions with the scrub and some warm water for a couple of minutes is ideal. Use light pressure, hard does not equal better in this case. Rinse with warm water.
3. Mask it up. I like to make an event of my face masks, often while no one is home. Otherwise, certain fiances walk in and stare at me like I am insane, judging my pursuit of porefection. Each mask has different instructions, mine requires you apply it to dry skin. ALWAYS use a clean, dry washcloth. I have a whole basket of white wash cloths I use for just my face and a clean one each time. I leave mine on for ten to fifteen minutes most masks harden as they are ready to come off, however some stay moist so read up on yours. Rinse with warm water and pat skin dry with a clean towel, cloth, whatever.
4. Toner. Mix your toner by shaking and dispense on to a cotton ball, enough to get it moist but not sopping wet. Take your time to run it over every nook and cranny of your skin.
5. Moisturize your face and neck. Look in the mirror and admire your new glow!

What are some of your favorite skin care products? I'll try any product once, but am rarely blown away.

No comments:

Post a Comment