Image Map

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

But Why?

Why? Why give up a night of going out to take time for you, get in a work out, or cook a healthy meal? Why spend the time to prepare your food instead of picking up a drive through option on your way to and from work? Why wake up early to exercise? Why choose a sensible salad over a hamburger? Talk to anyone who has lost weight and kept it off and they will tell you their secret it making it a life style. Remembering what you ultimately want to achieve and choosing it over a cupcake. Or two cupcakes. Last week I challenged myself to make some changes for the better and to eat clean, perfectly clean, for seven days. I accomplished my goal, toned up a little, and was finding myself looking forward to preparing meals that were better for me but just as tasty. My fiance was supportive, but he was the only one. 

I turned down a cupcake on Thursday. Then was promptly made fun of, asked why, and told one wouldn't hurt me. Yup. All over a cupcake. I attended a family party Saturday and a slice of delicious, triple layer chocolate cake was placed directly in front of me. Oh. My. God. That was a tough one to turn down, but I brought a bottle of Kombucha tea to sip on and hold me over until we got home. Success. For me, it felt good knowing I was doing my body a favor, letting it readjust after a period overindulgence.


Obviously, life is not about restricting yourself. Eating super clean all the time is not only unrealistic, I think it's quite unhealthy. I need my treats or I know I will overeat. Take the time, create a moment, and enjoy. I had today off work and yesterday was exhausting. So I came home last night, opened a good bottle of wine, and spent a couple of hours relaxing and baking. I concocted a healthier recipe for my famous oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, ate two with a glass of pinot noir, and caught up on The Blacklist before going to bed. 

I choose to make my health a priority. Why? Honestly, I enjoy healthy foods. A huge, homemade salad makes my mouth water. As a child, I would sneak large amounts of baby carrots from the fridge. I also have a sweet tooth that I am still working to control. That's why it was so important to me to go an entire week without chocolate. I never once felt deprived and it helped me reach for an apple, not a bowl of ice cream or handful of chocolates. I also like the way I look when I take great care of myself. My skin is more clear, my clothes look better, and I feel confident in myself. I don't care what anyone says, that cupcake may be good for your soul, but three of them will never lead you to self confidence. Choose you.

No comments:

Post a Comment