Image Map

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Five Ways I've Been Working Out For Free

I have never in my life paid a gym membership fee. With the exception of the half off group fitness glasses at college, when the price is reduced half way through the semester. I bought a workout class Groupon once. I never went as they were good in the peak of winter. Point is, I love fitness and breaking a sweat but I don't think anyone should have to pay a hefty price to improve their body. The bonus about these tips? They don't even require you to leave your home in this horrid polar vortex.




1. YouTube. I mentioned before how I adore the Blogilates videos. I will often print out her workout calendars and mix them with my own. Other favorites are Tone It Up, Fitness Blender, and PopSugar Fitness. I just sign into my account and their latest videos are in my feed, ready to go.

2. Amazon Prime. Yes, technically I pay for the prime membership but I have that anyway due to my free Kindle rentals and the shipping perks. This membership is becoming my new favorite thing. I recently discovered the free shows and movies, as they occupied bitter cold days on my Christmas break. Well now, I have been trying a new workout video each day for the past few days and it's pretty awesome. They offer everything from Jillian Michaels, to yoga, to Densie Austin for nights when I feel my body needs a low impact recovery routine. I am in love. 

3. Magazine workouts. I subscribe to a couple of fitness magazines currently but have read a variety for years and years. I now have a pretty impressive stock pile of their top workouts. Following Shape, Self, Fitness, or the like on Twitter or Facebook will provide the same information. They will link you to a ton of free workouts you can print out or bookmark for the future.

4. Make it up as you go along. Interval training is all the rage and it's quite effective. We all know the basics, intense moves such as split squats, burpees, or speed skaters for 20 - 45 seconds and 10 - 15 seconds of recovery. Choose different exercises and continue for 20+ minutes. Back in the day I used to attempt to watch the clock for these routines but I now use a website that tracks the time, circuit, and when to begin and end each set for me. It's the perfect workout for when you aren't feeling any workout in particular.

5. Keep it brief, yet frequent. Jumping jacks during commercials. Crunches when your favorite movie/television character says their catch phrase. Squats while you brush your teeth, or hover while you pee. All the small changes you make add up. Have an impromptu dance party or clean the house vigorously, it will be done faster that way! Whatever you choose to do, you should be breaking a sweat every single day. Your mind will equate fitness as a habit, a lifestyle change; not a fleeting trend. 

BONUS FREEBIE:
6. Run. I am not a big runner, and I will never run in this brutal weather we are currently experiencing. However, running is free. So is walking more. As it warms up, grab some comfy kicks and go for a brisk stroll.

No comments:

Post a Comment